Energy of Kanazawa
– Multilayered culture of Architecture –
Exhibition Statement of Purpose
Kanazawa has preserved and also revived traditional architecture, while at the same time built new buildings to fit with the trends of each particular time. The city has kept on the course of preservation and development, and just like the multilayered Baumkuchen, we can see the many layers of the various periods of history. The city is like a mosaic composed of these myriad historical periods. Kanazawa’s appeal is unlike that of Florence during the renaissance period, or of Paris during the rule of Napoleon III, which were a sort of regulated beauty. Its appeal lies in the intermingling and ever-progressing essence of the city.
It is not by chance that Kanazawa’s appeal is what it is today. On the cusp of each time period, the people of Kanazawa ascertained which direction to move in, and it is because of the insight of its citizens that Kanazawa is what it is today. In actions like establishing the Preservation of Traditional Environments ordinance, founding the Kanazawa Urban Structure Award, and the creation of the Kenrokuen Area Culture Zone, we can understand that the values and appeal of Kanazawa has been developed as a result of the peoples’ voices and actions. It is not too much to say that the sense of beauty and values that has continued through the Edo, Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei, and Reiwa periods and is evident in the architecture culture of Kanazawa, is due to the people of Kanazawa. The strength and energy of Kanazawa was cultivated through history and by the actions of its people. We can see this in Kanazawa’s land, heritage, and accumulated knowledge and wisdom.
In order for architecture culture to take root, citizens need to be able to share their passion for their city and its architecture. The purpose of this exhibition is to not only share the architecture culture of Kanazawa with visitors from around the world, but also provide a place for citizens to confirm the appealing points and values of Kanazawa and also discover what the “Energy of Kanazawa” means for them. It is the responsibility of the people living in Kanazawa, to inherit and then to develop its architecture culture. With all of our “Energy” let’s work together to cultivate an architecture culture that we can be proud of and can share with the world.
|Hours||9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (No admittance after 4:30 p.m.)|
|Adults 800yen [700yen]
College students / Senior (65 and over) 600yen
Child / Students (high school and younger) Free
* [ ] Group rates for 20 and more
* access to both the permanent exhibition and special exhibition
|Closed||Mondays * When Monday is a national holiday, the following weekday will be closed instead.
- Organized by : Yoshiro and Yoshio Taniguchi Museum of Architecture, Kanazawa
- Planning : Energy of Kanazawa – Multilayered culture of Architecture – Committee
- With the cooperation of : Kanazawa Institute of Technology / Kanazawa college of art / The Japan Institute of Architects Hokuriku Branch
- With the support of : THE HOKKOKU SHIMBUN
- With the sponsorship of : ASAHI BUILDING-WALL CO.,LTD. / KAGA CORPORATION / Kenchiku shiryo kenkyusha CO.,LTD. Nikkengakuin / SHIMIZU CORPORATION / SOGOSHIKAKU SOGOSHIKAKUGAKUIN KANAZAWAKOU / TAMAYA Construction Inc. / Token Inc. / NEW HOUSE Co.,Ltd. / MIZUHO INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD. / YKK AP Inc.